Henry Pulp was a guest speaker last week, he was really inspiring, full of energy and enthusiasm, and obviously passionate about his work. He told us about his background and how he started off in business, which was a less conventional way than one would expect a business to get off the ground.
Henry (real name Michael Bennett) is a musician and an artist based in Liverpool, who produced his own branding, and the promotion material for his band, marketing under the name of Milk:Presents.
For this blog posting I’m going detail some of the pointers/advice which I found interesting
- Planning an exhibition? Make people feel involved
- Collaborate with people who can help you, and who you can help
- Don’t undersell yourself, (very important message)
- Become an autodidact, (yes, I had to google that word) self teach, otherwise you will pay others to do the work for you
- Don’t wait for the perfect job, create your own
- Create a manifesto
- Believe in yourself (ties in with not underselling yourself)
- Find your motivation, what you want and why
- Create platforms
“Education make you a living, self education makes you a legend” Habeeb Akande
“Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind – The race is long and in the end, it’s only with yourself” Baz Luhrmann
Henry now collaborates with Constellations which is a community driven creative environment based in Liverpool, which provides a platform for food, art, music and events.
This sounds like a really inspirational environment to be in and somewhere I plan to go for lunch next visit to Liverpool as the food looks amazing!