The general feedback regarding my interim exhibition was that the work displayed seemed to be quite tentative, and didn’t possess the fluidity of some of the pages in my sketchpad. I do agree with this as I am aware of feeling more precious about larger pieces of work, and being wary of pushing a piece of work too far for fear of spoiling it. I have found working in an A5 sketchpad, has made me try different things, I sometimes go back and add more to pages at a later date, but I have struggled as to how to take these ideas into larger pieces.
Before receiving the feedback I had started to try and do this, for a couple of pieces of work I put photography aside and have worked with collage, paint & inks. I know that I need to be prepared to fail, that some things will not work, but I need to almost relax and not worry about ruining the work.
Things to consider from here
- Different solutions to corrode photos
- What is it that I find interesting in certain images (eg the way the image bleeds away, the corrosion?)
- Concentrate on a small section and work on that (enlarge?)
- Move away from images which are too literal
- Look at Sigmar Pollock & Grehard Richter, to see how they display work together ie photos against more abstract work.